I would like to submit a Freedom of Information Request relating to specific ICT contract(s) for server hardware maintenance, server virtualisation license and maintenance and storage area network maintenance/support which may include:
- server hardware maintenance- contract relating to the support and maintenance of the organisation’s servers.
- virtualisation licensing (VMware, Solaris, Unix, Linux, Windows Server)
- virtualisation maintenance/support (VMware, Solaris, Unix, Linux, Windows Server)
- storage area network maintenance/support (EMC, NetApp etc)
For each of the types of server ICT contracts above can you please send me the following data types:
- contract title
- contract type. Please input one the type of contract from above, eg hardware maintenance, virtualisation licensing, virtualisation maintenance/support, storage area network maintenance
- existing/current supplier
- hardware brand. Please state the hardware or software brand related to the contract with supplier e.g. hardware maintenance could be Dell, IBM, etc
- operating system/software(platform): (Windows, Linux, Unix, VMWare etc.) the brand name relating to the contract.
- annual average spend (for the whole duration of the contract, if the total value sent is per annum please state this in the response)
- contract duration (please can you also include notes if the contract includes any contract extension periods.)
- contract expiry date
- contract review date (an approximate date of when the organisation is planning to review this particular contract.)
- brief contract description – I require a brief description of the service provided under this contract.
- internal contact: (The person from within the organisation that is responsible for reviewing and renewing this particular contract. Please include there full name, job title, direct contact number and direct email address.)
if there is more than one supplier for these contract can you please split the contract individually for each supplier. So the information above which I am requesting is for each supplier.
If this service is part of a managed contract please can you send me the contract information for this managed service, including hardware brand, number of users, operating system, and contact details of the internal contact responsible for this contract.
Thank you for your enquiry of 11th February 2015, in which you asked for information about IT contracts at The National Archives.
Your request has been handled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA).
I can confirm that The National Archives holds information relevant to your request.
The National Archives’ contracts are tendered by two different internal departments. Contracts 1-12 are maintained by our Information and Communication Technology (ICT) team while contracts 13 – 21 are handled by our Digital Archiving Infrastructure team.
Operating system/software: in your request you asked for information regarding the operating system/software (platform) used with our contracts.
The National Archives uses a variety of supported Windows Server Operating system in connection with the HP Server contracts managed by our ICT team. These are licensed through the Microsoft Enterprise Agreement (via Computacenter).
The HP servers used in the Digital Records Infrastructure (DRI) system utilise the Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server operating system and the appropriate licences have been purchased through the following suppliers – Computacenter, CSA Waverley and SCC.
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you with some of the information you have requested.
You asked for the full name, job title, direct contact number and direct email address of the National Archives employee who is responsible for reviewing and renewing our contracts.
We are unable to provide you with this information because it would identify a junior member of staff and as such is exempt from release under section 40(2) of the FOIA. For further information about why this exemption has been applied, please see the explanatory Annex at the end of this letter.
However, we have applied the general principle that members of staff at Head of Department level and above are sufficiently senior for their names and/or job titles to already be in the public domain and are therefore not exempt from release.
The Acting Head of ICT at The National Archives is Alec Mulinder. Alec is responsible for contracts 1- 12.
The Head of Digital Archiving Infrastructure is Diana Newton. Diana is responsible for the contracts 13- 21.
All email addresses at The National Archives take the format: first email@example.com
If you wish to contact The National Archives, please use the contact form at the following address:
Some of the information you have requested is also covered by the exemption at section 31(1) (a) FOIA. This exempts information if its disclosure is likely to prejudice the prevention or detection of crime and relates to specific expiry and renewal dates as well as specific hardware versions of the contracts detailed in the attached spreadsheet. For further information about why this exemption has been applied, please see the explanatory Annex at the end of this letter.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request or the decision which has been reached, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests must be submitted within two months of the date of this response and should be addressed to:
Public Services Development Unit
The National Archives
Please mark your complaint clearly. You have the right to ask the Information Commissioner (ICO) to investigate any aspect of your complaint. However, please note that the ICO is likely to expect internal complaints procedures to have been exhausted before beginning his investigation.