Our organisation’s structure and salaries
See our organisational chart down to head of department level below, along with information about grades and senior salaries.
The Government is currently reviewing the ratio between the highest and lowest paid salaries across most of the public sector, with a recommendation that this does not exceed 20:1. Within The National Archives, based on full time equivalent salaries, the highest paid member of staff earns 5.7 times more than the lowest.
Our organisational structure (PPT, 600 KB)
Senior and non senior civil servants’ pay data (XLS, 7.86 MB)
Staff engagement survey
The Civil Service People Survey took place during October 2016 and involved 98 organisations across the Civil Service. A key element of the survey is the ‘Employee Engagement Index’. This is a measure of how engaged employees are with their work and it is calculated from responses to five of the key questions in the people survey:
- I am proud when I tell others I am part of The National Archives
- I would recommend The National Archives as a great place to work
- I feel a strong personal attachment to The National Archives
- The National Archives inspires me to do the best in my job
- The National Archives motivates me to help it achieve its objectives
- Research in the private and public sector suggests organisations with high levels of engagement are more efficient and effective. The National Archives’ Employee Engagement Index was calculated at 68% this year. This classes The National Archives as a Civil Service High Performer.
Staff engagement survey results 2016 (PDF, 0.58 MB)
Staff sick absences
View figures relating to National Archives staff sick absences below. Content provided in this section is additional to that required by the Government’s transparency commitments.
Staff sickness levels (XLS, 36 KB)
See information below about staff self-declaring ethnicity, the number of women working at the National Archives along with those in senior positions, and numbers of staff self-declaring disability. Content provided in this section is additional to that required by the Government’s transparency commitments.
Staff diversity: 2016-17 (XLS, 50 KB)
Staff diversity: 2015-16 (XLS, 54 KB)
Staff diversity: 2014-15 (XLS, 52 KB)