The Department for Culture, Media and Sport funds us to deliver:
- a single leadership role for the archives sector in England
- Archives for the 21st Century In Action: Refreshed
- strategic sector engagement, helping archives services and their parent bodies to respond to government policy, and to develop in ways that strengthen the national network of provision
- a policy information and advice role for government
Together with partners we aim to:
- encourage new thinking and initiatives in the sector
- develop and implement an accreditation scheme for archives
- inform government policy
- ensure archives are embedded in Arts Council England’s wider cultural offering
We work with Arts Council England on several initiatives and have agreed our approach to working together in a Memorandum of Understanding, below.
Memorandum of Understanding (PDF, 0.24Mb)
We have also signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Research Libraries UK which sets out the role of both organisations and how we will work together in the future to achieve our goals.
Other partnerships include:
- Archives and Records Association on taking forward workforce development and refreshing the Archives Awareness campaign
- Local Government Association to promote service improvement
- Digital Preservation Coalition on strategic and practical solutions
- Where our statutory remit includes Welsh archives, we work closely with the Welsh Government (CyMAL).
Additionally, many of our current initiatives are delivered in partnership with archives and interested bodies.