Archive services which meet the eligibility criteria are invited to apply for accredited status by the relevant home nation assessor body.
Any UK archive service wishing to apply for Archive Service Accreditation should submit their application using the online application system.
Statement on use of data in online application system (PDF, 0.03MB)
Archive services should ensure that their assessor body is aware that they intend to make an application before doing so. Assessment of applications for Archive Service Accreditation can take up to three months to complete and applicant should contact their assessor body for details of their assessment timetable, particularly for the application to be reviewed at a particular Accreditation Panel.
For specific advice about any aspect of the scheme you should also contact your assessor body.
- England: Archives Sector Development, The National Archives: email@example.com
- Scotland: National Records of Scotland and Scottish Council on Archives: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wales: The Welsh Government through its Museums, Archives and Libraries Division: MALD@wales.gsi.gov.uk
- Northern Ireland: the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland email@example.com (028 90 534 800) – specify that your enquiry relates to Archive Service Accreditation
The National Archives is responsible for coordinating applications from across the UK with home nation assessor bodies.
Training for the scheme will be provided by the Archives and Records Association, Scottish Council on Archives and the Welsh Government.
Timing your application
Our guidance will help you decide when the most appropriate time for your archive service to apply for accreditation is.
Although some services will find that they have much of the required evidence already, many services will go through a process of planning and development which may take months, or even years. The Archive Service Accreditation Standard will support a review of the service, identifying its strengths and providing a framework to improve areas of weakness.
The following factors may also influence the timing of an application for accreditation:
- archive service review
- archive service move
- application for museum accreditation
- application for a planned capital project
- budget year