- Archiving the arts
- Digitisation consortium
- Discovery: finding archives and their collections
- Explore Your Archive toolkit
- Family and estate records
- First World War and archives
- Funding the archives sector
- Giving value: fundraising capacity for the archive sector
- London 2012
- Manorial Documents Register
- Records surveys
- Transforming Archives
- Volunteering research project
- 20-year rule and records of local interest
Explore Your Archive toolkit
Explore Your Archive is a toolkit designed for archives of all kinds throughout the UK and Ireland, to help you create events and promote stories relevant to your collections and communities. The aim of the toolkit is to increase public awareness of the essential role of archives in our society, to celebrate our network of collections and emphasise the skill and professionalism of the sector.
Download the toolkit below to find everything you need to take part in Explore Your Archive:
Explore Your Archive toolkit (PDF, 7.82Mb)
- Brand guidelines
- Key messages
- Artwork to download - produced in different formats (please get in touch if you need help and advice on these)
- Ideas for getting involved, whatever the level of resource you have at your disposal
- Hints and tips for communications, including using social media and engaging with press
Start using the toolkit now
Take a look at the toolkit and start thinking about how you might take part. When you are ready to develop your stories, you can download all the relevant materials below, including artwork and a template press release.
Explore Your Archive downloadable resources (ZIP, 14.48Mb)
*NEW* Posters, templates and social media tips (ZIP, 8.40Mb)
Activities in 2014
Following the evaluation, we've taken on board your feedback about the campaign and we are delighted to announce the shape of Explore for 2014 and beyond. You said:
You liked the brand and wanted freedom to use it to promote your activities at any time of the year
We produced the branding for everyone and it is yours to use, within the spirit of the campaign, whenever you wish. All the guidelines for using the brand are in the toolkit. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org when you use the brand to let us know what you've done. We can then share good ideas and best practice as widely as possible.
You liked the timing
Building on the success and enthusiasm of the first year, we are asking archives throughout the UK and Ireland to plan as many events and activities as possible from 10 to 16 November. The campaign branding is there to use throughout the year, but we aim to make the maximum impact for the sector during this week. Please put this in your diaries now and start planning what you will do.
You liked the flexibility
Explore Your Archive 2014 will not have a prescribed theme. The toolkit is designed to help you publicise the theme, story, event or activity that works best for your collections and your audiences. Since many archives will be organising activities around First World War collections this year, there will be specific advice, guidance and artwork to help archives wishing to concentrate on the First World War.
You wanted more in the toolkit
The Explore Your Archive toolkit will be added to for 2014. Additions will include:
- ready-to-use artwork, and a new set of artwork to support First World War activities
- case studies and hints and tips from events and activities that worked well in the 2013 Explore Your Archive campaign
- new advice on best use of social media
- new Explore Your Archive marketing material
- further development of the public website, exploreyourarchive.org
We will be adding material to the toolkit from now on, which will be publicised.
Button badgesThere are still button badges badges left which were produced for the campaign, and they are available free of charge to those taking part. If you would like to order badges, please email email@example.com with a note of what activities you are planning, whether you would like 50 or 100 badges (or more if there's a strong reason) and what postal address you would like them mailed to.
For any enquiries about how to use the toolkit, or to find out more, please get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
This page contains PDF, ZIP files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.