Together with partners, we aim to
- deliver a single leadership role for the archives sector in England
- deliver Archives Unlocked: Releasing the Potential
- deliver strategic sector engagement, helping archives services and their parent bodies to respond to government policy, and to develop in ways that strengthen the national network of provision
- provide a policy information and advice role for government
- encourage new thinking and initiatives in the sector
- develop and implement an accreditation scheme for archives
- inform government policy
- ensure archives are embedded in Arts Council England’s wider cultural offering
Jisc and the Archives Hub
In September 2017, The National Archives and Jisc signed a Memorandum of Understanding (PDF, 0.26MB) in which several areas of collaboration were identified and agreed. One of these was a commitment to work together to improve both Discovery and Archives Hub, to explore the interoperability of data between them, improve the user experience of both systems and if possible to highlight the interconnectivity between collections in the two systems.
We have begun this work by preparing a document with Jisc setting out our complementary approach to the two services across the areas of user interfaces, data, sharing and outreach. Read our 2018 short paper, From coexistence to complementarity: the Discovery service and the Archives Hub (PDF, 0.34 MB)
We will continue to examine areas for collaboration over the next two years, beginning with a feasibility and scoping study.
Arts Council England and Research Libraries UK
We have also signed a Memorandum of Understanding (PDF, 0.26MB) with Research Libraries UK, which sets out the role of both organisations and how we will work together in the future to achieve our goals.
Other partnerships include:
- Archives and Records Association – on taking forward workforce development and refreshing the Archives Awareness campaign
- Local Government Association – to promote service improvement
- Digital Preservation Coalition – on strategic and practical solutions
- Where our statutory remit includes Welsh archives, we work closely with the Welsh Government (CyMAL).
Additionally, many of our current initiatives are delivered in partnership with archives and interested bodies.