Royal Marine commando troops wade ashore in the D-Day Normandy landings in June 1944.
Plans for the liberation of Europe date back to 1942 and form one of the key points of Allied strategy. In 1943 Operation Overlord was finalized, and eventually took place on 6 June 1944.
Search using D-Day Defeat of Germany German resistance
- Buckley, J., The Normandy campaign 1944: sixty years on (London: Routledge, 2006)
- D'Este, C., Decision in Normandy: D-Day and after (London: Penguin, 2001)
- Kershaw, R.J., It Never Snows in September: The German view of Operation Market Garden and the Battle of Arnhem (London: Ian Allen, 1994)
- Middlebrook, M., Arnhem 1944: the airborne battle, 17-26 September (London: Viking, 1994)
- Neillands, R., The Battle of Normandy, 1944 (London: Cassell, 2002)
- Neillands, R., The Battle for the Rhine 1944 (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 2005)