The National Coal Board takes possession of Britain's mines on 1 January 1947.
Nationalisation of industry was a central policy of the Labour government in 1945. Responsibility rested with the Ministries of Fuel and Power, Transport, Civil Aviation, Supply and the Treasury. Herbert Morrison had overall responsibility for nationalisation until 1951.
Search using Gas Nationalisation Bill
- Chick, M., Industrial Policy in Britain 1945-1951: Economic Planning, Nationalisation and the Labour Governments (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997)
- Millward, R. & Singleton, J., The Political Economy of Nationalisation in Britain, 1920-1950 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001)
- O'Morgan, K., Labour in Power 1945-1951 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1984)
- Pelling, H., The Labour Governments 1945-51 (London: Macmillan, 1984)
- Chester, N., The Nationalisation of British Industry 1945-51 (London: HMSO, 1975)