1. When did King William order the Domesday survey to begin?
2. What was a villein?
Someone who broke the law
A higher class of peasant who rented some land
3. What language was used to write Domesday Book?
4. How many scribes wrote Great Domesday?
One main scribe with another checking
Four scribes who took turns
5. Who is not mentioned in Domesday Book?
William I, the Conqueror
Richard the Lionheart
6. TRE is Latin shorthand which means
In the time of King Edward
Tax Royal Earls
Edward is no longer King
7. What two colours of ink were used in Domesday Book?
Blue and Black
Brown and Black
Red and Black
8. What are the pages of Domesday Book made out of?
9. The total value of the lands recorded in Domesday Book was
10. In the Middle Ages people wrote with
11. King William controlled England in all of the following ways, except by
12. Who became King of England after the death of Edward the Confessor?
Harold Hardrada, King of Norway
William Duke of Normandy
13. Where is Domesday Book kept today?
The British Museum
The National Archives
14. Domesday Book . . .
lists the names of all the people who lived in England in the Middle Ages
tells the story of the Battle of Hastings
is arranged county by county