(Catalogue ref: CAB 120/186)
- At the time of this telegram German forces were defeated. The American and British forces are scaling down their armies in Europe and transferring forces to fight against Japan.
- As Churchill wrote, Soviet forces controlled most of Eastern Europe. A number of disagreements arose about what was to happen in the Eastern European countries once Germany was defeated. Vienna was one of many cities, which the Americans and Britain did not want to occupy but the USSR did.
- In many Eastern European countries Communists had played an important role in resisting the Nazis as did man non- Communists.
- Many communists used their support from the war and support from the Red army to take control of the government of countries where the USSR drove German forces out. This is what Churchill meant by the Communist technique.
- The USA, Britain and USSR reached a number of agreements at a conference at Yalta in February 1945.
- You can read more about this in the section on Yalta in the Learning Curve's Cold War Exhibition