- Making a Freedom of Information request
- About Freedom of Information
- Environmental information regulations
- Our publication scheme
- Information requests
Closed documents at The National Archives
FOI request reference: F0036424
Number of FOI requests
1. Does the National Archives currently hold a list of files in its possession which for whatever reason are classed as being closed to the public and or classified and or under embargo.
2. If the answer to the above question is yes can you please provide a copy of the list with the appropriate file reference number(s) and title(s). In the case of each file can you state for how long it has been in the care of the National Archives. In the case of each file can you please the date (if available) of when it will be opened to the public. In the case of each file can you state which department and or public body and or organisation held it prior to its transfer to the National Archives.
Part successful/information provided
Documents held by The National Archives are not categorised using the terms 'classified' or 'under embargo'. All documents are listed on our public catalogue as either open, closed, or 'retained by transferring department'.
A list of all closed documents held by The National Archives can be populated by following the link below to the 'advanced search' function on Discovery, our online catalogue, selecting 'closed records' under the search criteria 'closure status', and entering a term under which you would like our catalogue to be searched. For example, if you wish to view all closed records relating to John Smith, you would enter the search term 'John Smith'. If you wish to view all closed records held by The National Archives, please enter '*' as the search term.
This search will provide you with the appropriate catalogue reference and, where available, the document reference for the closed records that we hold. It will also provide, where available, the date the file was transferred to The National Archives, information about its former department prior to its transfer to The National Archives, and the date upon which the file will be opened to the public. As such, we are not obliged to provide this information under section 21 of the FOI Act 2000 - information accessible via other means, because this information is readily available on our website.