- Friends of The National Archives
- Free enewsletter
- Social media
- Have your say
User Advisory Group
The User Advisory Group provides an opportunity for users of The National Archives to get involved in the organisation's planning and decision-making processes at an earlier stage and a more strategic level than ever before. It offers enthusiastic and committed representatives, or delegates, a unique opportunity to represent the needs and views of users in discussions about The National Archives' current services and future plans.
Please see the Delegates page for further information on current delegates and how to contact them.
Delegates in the group represent different sections of our user community, not only their own interests. As well as attending meetings of the group itself, each delegate has a responsibility to cascade the details of the User Advisory Group meetings to members of their user community and gather feedback from them. You can find further details in the terms of reference below.
Seeking new representatives
We are now seeking new representatives to fill UAG vacancies. We would particularly like to hear from users who feel they could effectively represent one or more of the following user groups:
- academics - we are especially interested in hearing from historians, and those with links to one or more of the learned societies, and who are involved in encouraging post-graduates to work with archival material
- map room users - particularly those working with medieval records
- county/external archives
- on site personal interest researchers - particularly those interested in areas other than genealogy
Representatives need to demonstrate they have the qualities to actively participate in the group, including:
- willingness to express the views of their communities in the setting of a large meeting
- time to prepare for meetings, including reading papers and networking
- ability to see the 'bigger picture'
To find out more download the new members' pack below:
UAG new members' pack August 2014 (PDF, 0.30Mb)
How to submit an expression of interest
If you would like to express interest in representing one of the groups listed above, please email us at the address below with the following information:
- indicate in the subject line of your email that it is an expression of interest
- indicate which sections(s) of the user community you would like to represent; if you list more than one, please rank them in order of preference
- check the list of the sections of the user community which are already represented; if you feel that there is a group that we have not listed, and that you would like to represent, please specify this
- tell us about your experience as an archive user and why you feel that you would be suitable as a delegate (please write no more than 150 words)
- give examples to show that you have the personal qualities required as a delegate of UAG (please write no more than 150 words)
indicate your ideas and suggestions for how you would disseminate details of the group to the user community or communities that you would be representing, and how you would gather feedback (please write no more than 150 words)
Delegates will be selected based upon the information provided. Please email your expression of interest to UAGrecruitment@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk.
The deadline for expressions of interest is 12:00 on Monday 3 November 2014.
Dates of meetings
Meetings are held at The National Archives in Kew four times a year. Dates of forthcoming meetings are:
- Tuesday 16 December 2014, 12:00-14:30
- Tuesday 17 March 2015, 12:00-14:30
- Tuesday 16 June 2015, 12:00-14:30
Terms of Reference (PDF, 0.07Mb)
This page contains PDF files. See plug-ins and file formats for help in accessing these file types.