- Purchase images
Images largely cover coal mining in Britain from the 1870s to the 1960s. This includes pictures of the miners in their recreational activities, as well as at work in the collieries. There are also pictures of Victorian accidents and disasters, gold and diamond mining in other countries, and records of early tin mining in Britain.
Click on thumbnails to enlarge images
- Canvas bag and tally sticks, part of the accounts of Richard de Wigornia
- Gold mining on the Leech River, British Columbia, 1864
- Miners working on tunnel support, 1894
- Pit brow girls at work, Wigan Colliery, 1898
- Washing plant, De Beers diamond mines, South Africa, 1901
- King Edward tin and copper mine, Camborne, Cornwall, 1904
- Tub from the Hartley Colliery disaster of 1862, photographed in 1901
- Disaster at Wellington pit, Whitehaven, 1910.
- Post-war National Coal Board mining recruitment poster
- Underground at Caphouse Colliery, Overton, West Yorkshire
Back home from the
- Washing at the tub in front of the fire