The National Archives has developed an automated support tool to help public authorities to evaluate and assess the conformance of their record management systems. Performance is assessed against Part 1 of the current Records Management Code, as revised and reissued in July 2009.
Records Management Code automated support tool (XLS, 4.15Mb)
This tool replaces the previous self-assessment tool and accompanying compliance workbook.
Guidance on records management
Part 1 of the Records Management Code provides guidance to all relevant authorities on the practice they should follow in keeping, managing and destroying records.
The Code identifies nine elements required to support good practice:
- Organisational arrangements to support records management
- Records management policy
- Keeping records to meet corporate requirements
- Records systems
- Storage and maintenance of records
- Security and access
- Disposal of records
- Records created in the course of collaborative working or through out-sourcing
- Monitoring and reporting on records management
View the Records Management Code of Practice.
Assessment for central government
For central government, we developed a programme to identify the levels of risk faced by departments through failure to comply with the code. Find out more on information management assessment.