09 June

Today you can use your Twitter account to ask our experts any questions about our collection, online resources and how to research at The National Archives. For those questions we are unable to respond to in just 140 characters, we are posting the answers on this page.

Find the answers to your questions below.


From @GrahamDash: Where may I find records of gardeners employed by Haslar Hospital, Gosport between 1815 and 1860 please?


Unfortunately, our records relate to patients rather than staff. There might be something in record series ADM 1 or ADM 106, but gardeners would be civilians employed locally and there may be no surviving records. Detailed research is required.

We aren't aware of any records deposited locally. You could try to contact the local record offices for Portsmouth and Hampshire, but again, chances of success are slim.

See our research guide on garden history.




From @escapewithabook: Want 2 get transcript of murder case 1877 Leeds Crown Court, told u hve them Is that true?How do I access?Cant get to London


Transcripts of what was actually said in court do not normally survive with the records held at The National Archives. However, there are court transcripts for some trials among Court of Appeal, Director of Public Prosecutions or Treasury Solicitor and Home Office records. There are sometimes additional notes which can provide insight into a trial – you could try searching the online Catalogue using the name of the defendants to see if we have anything relevant to the case.

It's also worth trying local newspapers first, try West Yorkshire Archive Service, or find them on Twitter @wyorksarchives.

If you want to search Yorkshire assizes records held at The National Archives, start with our research signpost: Looking of records of a criminal trial or conviction

If travelling to our Kew site is not convenient, we offer a paid search service or you can use independent researchers - we have an information leaflet [PDF] on Criminal Records, or see the other paid search options.