Sexual misconduct

FOI request reference: F0051289
Publication date: January 2018


We want to collect and collate data from each department of government regarding both the number of persons, and their wage or pension earnings (1977 to date), who have been;

A. Accused with evidence of any sexual misconduct with a minor,
B.Investigated by any government or police department for any sexual misconduct with a minor,
C. Convicted of any sexual misconduct against a minor,

including online grooming or misconduct with a minor, making, searching for, or distributing inappropriate images of minors.


No information held


We have taken your request for information about ‘persons’ to be a request for information about employees of The National Archives.

I can confirm that The National Archives does not hold any information relevant to your request for employees, for the period 2001 (when our digital records begin) to the present.

Personnel files from 1977 to 2001 are held in paper form at The National Archives. To determine if we hold any information relating to your request for this period would require checking each personnel record manually, which would exceed the appropriate cost limit and engage section 12 of the FOI Act. Furthermore, personnel files of those aged over 72 (or 100 depending on leaving date) will have been destroyed.

Section 12 of the FOI Act makes provision for public authorities to refuse requests for information where the cost of dealing with them would exceed the appropriate limit, which for central government departments like The National Archives, is set at £600. This represents the estimated cost of one person spending just over three working days determining whether the department holds the information, as well as locating, retrieving and extracting the information.

We estimate that it will take us in excess of this to identify the appropriate information, and locate, retrieve and extract it in response to your request because you have asked for information from such a large date range and our records prior to 2001 are in paper form and stored in various locations.

Therefore, the majority of your request will not be processed further. You may wish to consider refining your request, for example, to a shorter time period. Further guidance.