The National Archives is part of the civil service and offers the many advantages of civil service employment, such as opportunities for flexible working and generous annual leave.
Because our staff are important to us, we offer the following:
- training and career development
- regular performance reviews
- individual development plans
- staff forums and green committee
It’s not all about the work that you do – your health and wellbeing matters to us too. We run regular wellbeing initiatives and offer an Employee Assistance Programme and an eye care voucher scheme.
We also have a sports and social club, which is part of the wider Civil Service Sports and Social Club. Your subscriptions fund many activities including yoga, our on-site gym, shower facilities, and staff bar (Friday evenings) as well as social evenings like our popular quiz nights.
In addition to the above, we also offer a great range of benefits, outlined below.
- choice of occupational defined benefit pension or stakeholder pension
- minimum of 22 days annual leave – rising to 25 days after 1 year, and incrementally to a maximum of 30 days after six years’ service
- an additional 10.5 days of public and privilege holidays
Travelling to work
- covered bicycle shed on-site
- bicycle loans
- interest-free annual season ticket loans
- on-site car park
Discounts and subsidies
- subsidised staff restaurant
- subsidised coffee bar
- discount in The National Archives bookshop
- childcare vouchers
- free admission to many museum and gallery exhibitions, including the British Museum, the Imperial War Museum, Hampton Court, the National Gallery, the Natural History Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum
- free admission to Kew Gardens