This lesson sequence for year 8/9 students was written by Jennifer Gridley from Brentside High School in Ealing.
Overall enquiry question
Should 1807 really be celebrated as the end of the slave trade?
- investigate the role of the West Africa Squadron in combating the illicit slave trade after 1807
- evaluate the success of attempts to suppress the slave trade after 1807
- use historical evidence to test hypotheses and reach conclusions
- decide whether 1807 actually marked the end of the transatlantic slave trade
Lesson plans (PDF, 0.09Mb)
Powerpoints and documents (ZIP, 4.13Mb)
Rationale for lesson plans (PDF, 0.07Mb)
Contextual essay (PDF, 0.08Mb)
- Witnessing the African slave trade
- What does a slave rebellion look like?
- Remembering victims of the slave trade
- Lick and lock up done wid
- How proud can Britain be?
- How powerful were slaves?
- How important were Africans to the Atlantic slave trade?
- Childhood slavery in North Africa
- 3 doors into 33,000 voyages