Having met in a Warsaw café in 1933, two Polish-born artists Jan Le Witt (1907-1991) and George Him (1900-1981), built upon a friendship to become the highly successful collaborative design partnership Lewitt-Him.
George Him, born in Poland to Russian-Jewish parents, studied comparative history of religions in Moscow, Berlin and Bonn, before turning his attention to graphic art. Studying in Leipzig, Him stayed in Germany as a freelancer until 1933 when he met Le Witt.
Before the war Him and Jan Le Witt - who had experimented with thirteen different professions before becoming a freelance artist in 1927 – worked in Poland before moving to London in 1937. At the outbreak of the Second World War Lewitt-Him designed posters for the Ministry of Information, but some of their early designs were never used. By late 1942, their main work was illustrating children's books, although they continued with poster work and designed murals for war factory canteens.
After the war the Lewitt-Him partnership designed murals for the Festival of Britain (1951), and exhibited in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv (1948), and New York and Philadelphia (1953). In 1954 the partnership was dissolved.
After the partnership Le Witt, who had become a British citizen in 1947, abandoned graphic design to work with Sadler's Wells Ballet. Him, however, continued to work mainly in book illustration, exhibition design and advertising. During the 1950s and 60s Him was particularly known for his involvement with the imaginary English county of ‘Schweppshire', an advertising campaign for Schweppes drinks.