To help us preserve the records for future generations, please observe our guidance for using the reading rooms and handling documents.
- No coats, bags or umbrellas – please leave in the lockers provided on the ground floor
- No food, drink, sweets or gum
- No sharp objects
- Use pencils without erasers
- Keep sound levels low when using headphones
- No pens
- Ensure your mobile is on silent mode
- Ensure your laptop has the sound off
- Ensure the sound and flash are turned off on your camera
- Always handle the documents with care
A complete list of rules is available from the welcome desk, the Enquiry Service Manager or online.
You can use your hand-held camera, smart phone, tablet or laptop to take still images of some documents. We provide camera stands in our reading rooms with a standard screw-in mount, or you can use universal adapters that enable smart phones or tablets to use these stands.
You may not use any device that scans images, or that has an integral or external stand or extension (such as a tripod or selfie stick).
Flash photography is not permitted. Copyright applies to all records: please ask at the record copying help desks for details.
Suitcases and other items that are too large to fit inside our lockers are not allowed inside the building: please make arrangements to leave luggage elsewhere. Our lockers can accommodate items with a maximum size of 43 cm x 42 cm x 24 cm. Nearby luggage storage providers can be found by searching on www.stasher.com.
If you leave something behind, please contact us to see if it has been handed in. We normally keep lost property for one month.